Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A week ago, when Bob and I were walking down Kings Highway, someone I once loved got out of a car and walked ahead of us. He was less than ten feet away from me yet I was paralyzed and I could not speak. I have no idea what I would have done had I been alone. I guess I probably would have spoken to him. It’s been a lot of years since I saw him and he’s married now with a passel of children. There was a lot of heat and chemistry and a very real knowledge of one another and understanding between us when we were younger – in our late twenties, but he was in a serious relationship with a perfect blond ice princess and I was fairly sure that I wasn’t a part of his vision for himself, even though he found me smart and funny. Years later, after he had married the blond, one of his friends in a moment of alcohol induced truthfulness told me as much. He told me that the man I loved really contemplated throwing over the perfect girl for me but in the end couldn’t – for many reasons. I was single at the time and really unhappy and hearing that information really upset me. Of course I questioned every aspect of my personality and my looks. It’s only now that I am okay with it. I’ve seen him several times over the past years and he’s always genuinely curious about me life and slightly envious of the path I took. He’s sweet and kind and though graying a bit, devastatingly handsome. If I see him again, I’ll tell him that I am married to the man I should be married to and that I am happy. Case closed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home