Friday, August 01, 2008

August's NaBloPoMo's theme is HOT, which is perfect in every way. Last night after the absolutely sweetest parade evr, one which actually caused me to well up with emotion, I whipped up my penne arrabiatta for Chris. I still remember in vivid color the first time I had it, outside on a piazza in Rome, in March of 1994, with John Joyce. It was absolutely sublime in its simplicity and as soon as I came home I learned how to make it.

1 28 oz. San Marzano tomatoes - spend on the good DOP kind - worth every penny.
6 garlic cloves minced
5 T extra virgin olive oil
2 t red pepper flakes or more if you like things spiced up
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 c grated pecorino or parmigiano reggiano or both and more to grate
chopped fresh flat parsley - NEVER USE CURLY!!!
1 lb DeCecco Penne - again, use the good stuff.

Heat the minced garlic with the oil and saute until golden. Do not burn. If you do, toss it out and start again. Then add the red pepper flakes, swirl pan and cook for a minute longer. Then add the tomatoes which I like to break up with my hands as my mother taught us. Simmer for twenty minutes adding a touch of salt and pepper to taste. Meanwhile cook the penne in rolling boiling salted water until al dente. Drain. Add to sauce and cook a minute or two more to absorb all the flavor. Put in a serving bowl with cheese and toss with parsley. Serve with extra cheese and pepper flakes.

Anyway, it's now one of my staples and people love it. And it never fails to remind me of my first trip to Italy with John, one of my more memorable trips because Italy was everything I thought it would be and because with his artist's eye, John illuminated it in the most unique and beautiful way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home