Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Traveler's Lunchbox ran an event last week called Things to Eat Before You Die. You were supposed to pick five items, but I'm a day late and a dollar short and am not going to play by the rules. Here are my ten things to eat before you die in no particular order.

1. A Philadelphia cheesesteak, in Philly or South Jersey, absolutely nowhere else under any circumstances.

2. Foie gras. I don't care if it is outlawed. Arrest me, I'm eating it.

3. Oysters with mignonette sauce.

4. Artisanal gelato in Italy. Especially at La Sorbetteria Castiglione in Bologna.

5. Pizza in Naples.

6. My sticky toffee pudding.

7. Cinghiale in umido (Wild boar stew) in Umbria, in autumn. Joanna and I had the most wonderful lunch EVER in a restaurant in Todi. We arrived around 1:30 p.m. on the recommendation of one of her friends who had lived in Italy. We sat on a beautiful terrace warmed by a fire and a beautiful bottle of wine. My primi was tagliatelle with fresh truffles, which was a revelation for me. It was my first trip with Joanna and one of the best. We shared great food, wine and our life stories. The wild boar was simply out of this world. Every time I smell juniper berries, I think of that day.

8. Full fat French butter studded with flakes of sea salt slathered on a piece of sourdough bread from Lionel Poilane. Or any bread approximating Poilane's. The butter is non-negotiable.

9. My roasted chicken with pan juices.

10. Cheese, wine, bread, pate and sausage bought from a local market and eaten on the side of the road in France.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home