Monday, November 27, 2006

Two years ago I had the most perfect salad on the most wonderful day in Isle Sur la Sorgue, a town known for its antiques in Provence. We were with our good friends at a nondescript sidewalk cafe and I have a life transfroming salad which I recently replicated for my sisters. It was a Sunday afternoon in mid-May and I remember it with such fondness that I can tell you where all eight of us sat at the table. That was a great trip, with great people, and I'll always remember it fondly, as it was part of our extended farewell to Europe.



Jane's Twist on Salade Lyonnaise (Serves three)

1 lb. chicken livers
1/2 lb. best quality bacon you can find, cut into bite size pieces
2 heads frisee or other hearty lettuce or greens
3 good Italian rolls, cut into 1" cubes
butter
1/2 cup olive oil
2 T best quality red wine vinegar
2 T dijon mustard
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
3 poached eggs

1. Clean and dry the chicken livers. Remove any spooky bits.
2. Put a few tablespoons of butter in a saute pan and melt it under medium to high heat. Add the livers and cook till rosy inside. Do not overcook!
3. Meanwhile, cook the bacon till crispy and remove.
4. Put the bread into the pan with bacon drippings, add salt and pepper to taste and fry till crisp.
5. Make a vinaigrette of the olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Tear the frisee into pieces and toss with the vinaigrette.
6. Poach eggs (don't ask me how, my sister did them PERFECTLY!)
7. Compose each salad separately with frisee on the bottom, then a layer of bacon, croutons, and livers. Top with poached egg. Serve with salt and pepper.
8. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home