Monday, January 14, 2008

Back. Again. Let's see how long I make it this time.

So what's happening here? A lot of home brewing by Chris, for one thing. His IPA is amazing, really polished and nice, The first go was not the best but he's been improving and now is really getting up to speed. I mentioned him teaching me, but he's afraid that I'll go all competitive on him, a legitimate worry if ever there were one.

Very quiet in the house today as Chris is in New York again. During the holiday season, I had gotten quite used to having him around and I do miss having him here. We're going on five years and it's been wonderful. We still are in synch. He just gets me and I get him. His absence is felt.

Watched the new adaptation of Jane Austen's Persuasion last night and hated it, which surprised me as I usually love that stuff. I had just re-read it and really knew the ins and outs of the book and was not thrilled with some of the liberties the producers seemed to take with it, especially the ending which had Anne Eliot running allover Bath chasing Captain Wentworth. Shudder. It was awful. But I do look forward to the rest of the Jane Austen stuff they will be presenting, with perhaps the exception of Northanger Abbey, Jane's nod to the Gothic fiction which was so pervasive during that time. They are running the BBC's version of Pride & Prejudice, with Colin Firth diving into the pond at Pemberley, be still my heart. It really is the definitive P & P, IMHO. There's a version of Emma with Kate Beckinsale which I have not seen before, but am looking quite forward to as I never bought Gwyneth Paltrow in the role. There's Sense and Sensibility, but it's going to have to go a long way to beat Ang Lee's film with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet, which I loved. There's also a new version of Mansfield Park. My Sunday evenings from now till the beginning of April are booked solid!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home